Sunday, September 14, 2008

I'm in Hungary!

YESS!! I am officailly in Hungary! I arrived last Sunday around noon. My plane ride went really well! I ended up talking with a guy on the plane that use to be in a cult! that was interesting. He is now a christian! Which is awesome! but we definetly had a good conversation and i learned alot about how dangeruous cults are.
I had two of my good friends from Budapest come and pick me up from the airport!
They were both so kind and welcoming. I had the priveldge to stay with them until Thursday. The two who picked me up were. Mate and Eva. They are brother and sister. Mate is older, but Eva is in her last year of High school! Mate was very sweet and let Evi and I take over his flat for a couple of days. So Evi and I became very close! She is not like typical Hungarians. She was very outgoing and fun! I felt like God could really use me in her life while I was their. and also her's in mine. While I was their i had a chance to relax and get on the right time schedual since it is about 6 hours ahead from Michigan. On Wednesday I had a chance to go to Eva's church "Calvary!" It was a really cool church. It use to be an old movie theather, with a cafe in it. Then on Thursday Evi really wanted me to go to her Hungarian High school as her "foreign exchange student." haha so I did! Before we left we prayed that God would give us an oppertunity to share and show Christ in our life. She goes to a Christian school but most of her friends are not christians. Well I sat on several of her classes and a couple of the english teachers found out that i was there. They invited me to be a guest in their english classes. So i agreed. THinking that i would only talk a little bit and when I was asked. Once I got into the class the teacher pretty much just gave me the whole class hour. She wanted me to talk! haha I was like WOW what a great oppertunity for me to share about my life with Christ! I did that and I even got to know the kids. They asked me questions and I even shared about a couple mission trips I went on. Like when I went to Jamaica. I would meet people on the streets that knew who jesus was and went to church, but when i asked about salvation and going to heaven. They would tell me that they weren't sure or didn't think they would go to heaven. "they weren't ready to give up their life for Christ." I saw it the same where ever we go in life. So many people say they go to church and know who Christ is, but when it comes to the personal relation with Christ, they don't want to live for him. So that was a really cool experience for me to be a testimony.
I got to Word of Life Bible school on Thursday night! It was so good to see all of my friends from last year and meet all the new students. This year I am in the barrack "Coasta Rica." Thats just what we call our dorm! I have 7 girls in my room this year! They are all amazing! I am so thankful that God put me in this room! we havec (Raquel) from Brazil.. pray for her she doesn't speak much english and is having a hard time! she is a first year student.. (Rachel) From america. it is her first year.. (Eve) first year student from Hungary.. (Damias) first year from Poland! (leighann) a really good friend from last year! she is from New Jersey! and fianlly my RA this year (Damaris)from Germany! She is also a very good friend from lsat year!!
Please pray for all the girls in my room! that we will become very close this year and have a good bond and friendship! I pray that we help each other to keep our focus on Christ and to serve others in our ministry!

Thank you so much for all your prayer and support!! i am so glad that I made it back to Hungary for my second year! We started classes today! woowhoO! This week is over Street Evanglizing!! It is really good so far! We will be going out on the streets of Budapest Thursday and Friday to talk with people! Please pray for our hearts and the people we will come in contact with! That they will be open to hear the word!

Peace and Love in Christ alone!
Amanda Joy Gilbert

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How exciting...I am so happy you got a great room and Costa Rica. I've been there! Mate and Evi sound like wonderful people and I thank God that they were there for you. Thank them for me. So are you actually teaching English classes? OMG that is so awesome! So much to say and don't know what to say. So whats the best way to talk to you...we are on facebook, msn, skype and just regular o email. Miss you so much, but so thankful for your life!